Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Introduction

An Introduction of C.K. Bicycle Mechanic. Okay, where should I begin? Maybe with a little history and then I'll move onto some current and future plans. But, first, as I write this, I'm listening to the radio, and as always there's a annoying commercial about some "supposed" lowest price of something. So to start off, let me mention, that I will not be... nor will I ever be the lowest price out there. Okay, now let me get back on track, with some history. Back in 2004 I sought work in a bike shop and soon got hired, where I soon began adjusting gears, brakes, hubs and everything else under the sun. But, that didn't really matter much to me, my skill's and my ever expanding bike mechanic life. Because even before then, I was determined to learn as much as I possibly could and thus, began reading every bike repair manual I could get my hands on, and to tell you the truth, I think I learned more via books than through any other form of learning. Working in a bike shop is great for developing speed, and being able to familiarize oneself with many different things, if those "different things" actually do come into said shop for service. So, after I finished reading every bike repair manual under the sun, that I could find, I then signed up for a two week class at one of the two bike repair schools in America. That was at the Barnett Bicycle Institute, in Colorado Springs, Colorado. That was my first time in Colorado, but it wasn't going to be my last. Colorado would play a large part in forming a foundation for my future bicycle mechanic activities.



Now, fast forward a bit, to 2006 and my first experience working a bike race, it was intense. And then the year, 2007 rolled around and it was even better, as I became a USA Cycling & ACA certified race mechanic. The ACA (American Cycling Association)? Yeah, I was back in Colorado and helping out with the ACA/ ROL Wheel Neutral Race Support for the summer of 2007. When 2008 rolled around I moved back to Texas and even got busier with crit's, road races, time trials, triathlons and even two stage races. I though I couldn't get any busier, but yet, 2009 was even busier with races worked from California to South Carolina. Now, it's 2010 and it looks like I'll be taking a breather from being on the road and focusing more on local events and races, and on growing my business. And throughout 2010 I did....

So, when 2011 rolled around, it was time to take that next step, and move into a commercial space and start operating with regular hours, and start promoting the selling of essential products and services. So, I found a small space about five miles from where I lived and signed a one year lease. I'm still pretty much just a problem solver, as most of my income is coming from labor. But, in the past few days, I've started to promote the selling of more used and possible new cycling books. Hopefully, soon I'll also be adding a few road cycling art pieces to my inventory too. But, it's not easy to find stuff that fits into the shops "Road Bike Stuff" theme. A note on growing my business... When it comes to growing my business, I believe a business should fund itself, and grow one customer at a time. This of course isn't the fastest way, but I'm not big on speed. I prefer quality over quantity, and good things take a while to grow and become established. But, yet I still don't want quality, just for qualities sake. I want to grow in a socially responsible manner. You know, by using environmentally friendly products and practices, and trying to make a positive difference in the world. An example of environmentally friendly practices can be found in the products I stock, sell, and use, such as Pedro's Go! , which is a biodegradable chain lube. Pedro's also make some tire changing levers that are made from recycled materials. Another product, that I'm proud to carry is Planet Bike Handlebar Tape, because Planet Bike gives 25% of it's profit's to bicycle advocacy. Yeah, that's cool. And when it comes to being made in the USA, I decided to carry spacers from Bicycle Research, because they are made in America. And lastly, when utilizing the tools that I use most often, I mainly choose Park Tool's, because they are of the best quality.

Well now it's 2012. Well actually, it's now only a few days away from being May 2012. And, as such, I really got to say: "Thanks for coming out and supporting my shop". For me, the past 15 or so months have been good, bad, interesting, and even a bit boring at times too. But, nonetheless, the past 15 months have made my little bicycle repair shop a solid reality for me, and the cycling public of San Antonio, Texas too.


Remember, this is just the beginning, and there will be many more interesting things to come in the future.


So, please stay tuned and thanks for you support...